FLSA Designation: Non-Exempt
Location: Columbia, MD or Alpharetta, GA
The Buyer manages the purchase, control and expediting to contractual suppliers. is responsible for planning, selecting and purchasing quantities of goods and merchandise. Work with other parts of the organization to forecast demand and evaluate inventory levels and takes orders from within the organization. The buyer engages in negotiations with suppliers and is responsible for collating purchase orders and purchase requisitions to order materials, goods and supplies. The buyer also sends them to the suppliers and reviews inventories and orders as required. This position interacts with the suppliers on a regular basis. The buyer must be consistent with considerations of quality, reliability, compatibility and urgency of need in order to meet company goals.
· Places purchase orders with suppliers.
· Plans future purchases with push-pull capability that warrant additional discounting in addition to a total review of set product line.
· Recommends changes in vendor relations that impact the Company’s ability for “Just in Time” shipping.
· Negotiates exceptional discounting for products, expedite fees and freight charges.
· Interviews vendors and recommends sources of supply.
· Analyzes quotes received, selects or recommends suppliers with whom orders are to be placed and schedules deliveries.
· Acts as a liaison between Accounts Payable and the supplier to resolve pricing and quantity disputes.
· Continually strives to increase understanding of material and processes associated with the product.
· Sources products/services from right supplier at the right cost.
· Works with warehouse management on stock rotation and certain inventory depletion.
· Closes purchase orders upon shipment with pertinent information required.
· Continuous Improvement
·Assists in driving a continuous improvement strategy within the business to result in on going incremental gains in quality and efficiency.
· Achieves operational goals set by the Company.
· Supports corporate initiatives and decisions.
· Performs other duties/special projects as assigned.
· High school diploma or GED.
· 1-2 years of purchasing or A/P experience preferred.
· Demonstrated ability to work with more or less direction.
· Demonstrated ability to read, write, analyze and interpret instructions.
· Ability to effectively present information to customers and members of the organization.
· Basic personal computer skills including MS Office Suite.
· SAP knowledge helpful but not required.
· Ability to reads and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, blue prints and procedure manuals.
· Excellent attention to detail.
· Excellent time management skills.
· Excellent interpersonal, customer service and communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with and respond to individuals and/or groups both within the organization and outside of the organization.